Thursday 2 September 2010

What really is the most important step in the sales process?

What is the most important step in the sales process? Well like I said three posts ago is has to be Qualification. Qualifying of needs, wants, underlying preferences and beliefs. However if the question had asked for the most important skill I would  have to say Handling Resistance would be an equal-first choice.
And I say that because as a persuasion skill we observe it every day in exchanges of opinion between: business colleagues, fellow travellers, TV talent show judges, football pundits, and critics of anything from art to books to cookery. Actually we don't see it so much as see the absence of it as "exchanges" descend into heated and often bad-tempered  disagreement!
When you step back and think about it ...it's not difficult to understand why this happens ...and with a little bit more thought how to avoid it.
The "bad" feeling happens because we don't like our opinions being dis-respected. And that's because our opinions all stem from our beliefs and values system ...something we are highly protective towards. After all much of it came from grannie
So I'm OK about you disagreeing with me ...but when you tell me that I'm "wrong to think that way" you instinctively trigger off an attack on my beliefs and values.
And it's not just saying it. You're involving my subconscious here. And it is hyper-sensitive to audio-visual signals. Which explains the instinctive trigger bit. So interrupting me ...a shaking head ...a dismissive tone of voice can all be such triggers.
Are you starting to get the picture? Right then, here are four good habits that will help avoid these problems and get more people agreeing with you:
Good habit No.1: Listen attentively and patiently. Let me hear and see that you're interested in what I'm saying. Encourage me to explain and elaborate.
Good habit No.2: Don't tell me that I'm wrong. You may think it but don't say it ...or show it!
Good habit No.3: Show respect for what I'm saying. Develop some natural sincere responses like: "Fair point" "I understand why you say that" "I can see why that's important to you."  Mutual respect is an essential pre-cursor to agreement. Start by showing me some.
Good habit No.4: An important part of the psychology this! Make me feel that rather than arguing with me you're actually discussing my doubts or concerns. Rephrase my statements (eg: "Telesales is a waste of time") into a question. "Yes you understandably question it's role Bob ...what are your main misgivings?" With these aired you're then able to align your points of view with them and move towards agreement.
I reckon (not researched!)  that disagreement is 80% bad communication and behaviour.  Letting somebody know that you respect their opinion, and implicit in that share their beliefs and values, sees you 80% of the way to gaining their agreement. 
Something that grannie would be very happy about! 


No comments:

Post a Comment