Friday 23 April 2010

Brown, Cameron, Clegg or Aristotle?

I frequently find myself referring back to the lessons of the "ancients" on persuasion. Maybe it's an anti-ageist instinct on my part...I hope not?    But Aristotle is a bit of a hero for me as I indicated two posts ago...and whatever aspect of persuasion I'm considering his Ethos, Logos and Pathos principle seems to provide an ideal template for discussion.
And so it was when watching the Party Leaders TV Debate between messrs Brown, Cameron and Clegg.
I listened to the logic of their arguments. I gave my feelings a free hand to see how the implications of their arguments affected me. But inevitably it was the big "E" of Ethos that kept coming to the fore and swaying my preference. Which of them spoke most convincingly from the heart... rather than with "spin- primed" answers?. Who was most passionate about his views and responses? Who seemed genuinely moved when criticised by his opponents? Who shared beliefs and values that accorded best with mine? Was it Dave, Gordon or Nick that I could most trust to be PM?
Inevitably these questions were partly answered by their existing reputation. They were also partly answered by some of the personal background comments that they slipped into their answers...but this always seems a bit self-serving so it doesn't work for me.  And of course their body language also gave us clues....although personally I think too much is made of body language in these debates. I don't see non-verbal skills being entirely relevant to the election of a government...unless of course there is a plan for a follow up TV programme where Andrew Lloyd-Webber and a panel of judges auditions our next PM. Now there's a thought!
What did interest me though was their persuasion style and what that might say about them. We are so used to seeing confrontational politicians arguing the toss....attempting to shout each other down. No wonder we stop listening. No one enjoys hearing somebody else's row!  And to quote another of Aristotle's principles: "it is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it!"
So step aside media consultants. Cue another of the "ancients and step forward Socrates! Let's see a bit more "socratic" persuasion from our would be leaders.
When you have to move audience opinion in your direction...and that happens all the time in business....then it's usually better to drop the "Tell and Sell style" in favour of the questioning style of Socratic persuasion.
  • Don't make statements...offer your opinions as carefully planned questions -rhetorical if to an audience...open and real if engaged in debate.
  • Don't confront or contradict...acknowledge and para-phrase responses, subtly and patiently aligning them towards your own point of view.
So come on then lads...let's see some quality debate next time and then we might start to get your Logos and Pathos!

Bob Howard-Spink is a Partner in Persuadability.  For tips and advice on persuasive communication visit  http://www.persuadability.co.uk/ 

No comments:

Post a Comment