Wednesday 14 October 2009

Ensuring that your point is understood!


I'll be honest... I'm not a Manchester United fan, my loyalties are more blue and southerly. And I'm definitely not a great fan of Sir Alex Ferguson! But I have to say that his record puts him amongst the all time greats of football management.      And so I think it's a non-partisan view that I offer on his persuasion style. 

It's difficult to see any underlying classical influences like Cicero or Aristotle. Maybe some reference to Socrates? Although his questioning technique is rather more inclined to presupposition than the rhetorical. He kind of dares you to disagree more than invite consideration of the posssible.
Which is probably why he has the Football Referees Association going for him over his post-match comments following United's 2-2 home draw with Sunderland. Suggesting that the referee cost them precious playing time by taking rest breaks, he blasted Alan Wiley as "not fit to do his job!"
With punishment from the FA a real possibility, Sir Alex has since reframed his empassioned touchline "presentation" to the 4th Official... and anyone else who happened to be watching. In his statement on United’s website, he said: “My only intention in speaking publicly was to highlight what I believe to be a serious issue in the game, namely that the fitness levels of referees must match the ever-increasing demands of the modern game, which I hope will now be properly addressed through the appropriate formal channels.”
So that's what he meant!!! 
A good reminder then.  If you think you overdid the impact in your opening, and maybe lost the body of your message with too much passion and excitement, you can still always make your point and achieve your goal with a good summary and close!   

Bob Howard-Spink is a Partner in "Persuadability."  For more tips and advice on improving the impact of your business messages visit http://www.persuadability.co.uk/

No comments:

Post a Comment